For a number of years Monterey Bay area beekeepers have been meeting once a month over breakfast to discuss beekeeping, exchange stories, and encourage each other in beekeeping. You are welcome to join us. We love it when new people join us, especially if you are new to beekeeping. Just keep in mind that when it comes to beekeepers, “if you ask three beekeepers how to do something, you are going to get at least four different answers”
We meet at 8:00 AM for breakfast the first Saturday of each month in the back room of the Black Bear Diner Monterey located at 2450 N. Fremont Street Monterey, CA 93940
What is the ABC and what’s with the name “The Anarchists Beekeeping Collective” or ABC?
We’re not the militant/activist-political kind of anarchists. Anarchy has gotten a bad reputation because of those guys! See the partial definition of anarchy below and you will better understand the use of the term applied to our group.
The ABC is not a structured organization with rules and regulations. We don’t have a president or any official officers. We don’t have structured meetings or scheduled training. In fact this web site is not sanctioned to represent the ABC. The ABC is a group of do it yourself beekeepers made up mostly of hobbyists, sideline and smaller scale beekeepers that like meeting with other beekeepers and talking about bees. We eat breakfast and probe each other for new ideas and try to help each other. One of the old timers once labeled the group the Anarchist Beekeeping Collective, ABC for short, and the name has sort of stuck. There has been talk of giving the group more structure with greater organization etc. but until that time happens, I think the current name is descriptive of our group. In the mean time if you have any questions you can send me an email at email@example.com.
Partial definition of anarchy:
Anarchy (from the Greek word meaning: anarchia, “without ruler”) may refer to any of the following:
- A social state where order and individual responsibility prevail.
- No ruler ship or enforced authority.
- A social state in which there is no governing person or group of people, but each individual has absolute liberty (without the implication of disorder).
- Absence or non-recognition of authority and order in any given sphere.
- Acting without waiting for instructions or official permission… The root of anarchism is the single impulse to do it yourself: everything else follows from this.